This is the shared hosting server for teratan.net.
This server provides hosting for friends. It is managed by James Read. If you have questions or concerns in regards to hosting or what is being hosted here, please contact me.
If you are here because there are issues with a website hosted on this domain, get in contact - the issue will be investigated as soon as possible.
James Read runs this server. You'll find my email address clearly listed on my personal homepage. My mobile number is also listed for emergancies.
Requesting an Account
Please contact me if you would like an account. Please read the New Users section of this page.
- Don't use the server to store, download, or distribute illegal content, like warez.
- Don't use webspace as a large file mirror
- Keep your pages clean - no porn, wares, violence and similar.
- There is no service level - this is free hosting for mates. Things will be fixed when I have time.
- There are backups, but mainly of system data. The backup script does cover user home directories, but you are responsible for your own data.
What is included?
- Unlimited web space - it's not endless, or infinate space, it's unlimited as in there is no hard limit on what you can store. Up to 1GB is considered reasonable.
- Unlimited bandwidth - Bandwidth should never be a concern - there are terabytes of bandwidth/month available. Again, don't host large files to share with people.
- The server is a virtual machine running Fedora Linux with a single 3.6GHZ CPU assigned with 512MB of RAM. The virtual machine is hosted on a dedicated hypervisor that I control in a datacenter in Midhurst, UK. The server is monitored, updated and secured with decent file permissions, SELinux and various other fluff.
- PHP5.4, MySQL 5.5, Apache web server with a healthy selection of PHP libraries. I'm happy to install Perl, Python or other scripting languages if they are requested.
- Shells, for those who request them. Shells are available for the purpose of wgetting files, proxying, IRC (via irssi) and similar. Screen sessions are permitted, but don't take teh piss.
- The server can be used to host domains (eg: http://example.com). You'll have to give me a list of domains you want hosted as these are configured manually. Can also provide nameservers.
Please contact me directly directly for support.
You can connect to this server via SFTP only - there is no FTP access because FTP is old and insecure. FileZilla, WinSCP and many other file transfer programs support this. SFTP is not the same as FTPS (which the server does not allow).
- username provided to you. No spaces, no domain.
- A password provided to you. Contact me to reset your password.
- 22 (default)
If you don't have a domain, you can access you webspace here: http://shared.teratan.net/~<username>
If you have MySQL databases enabled on your account, you can connect with the following details;
- Your username used to connect to the server via SFTP.
- Your database password, which can be found in "dbpassword.conf" in your home directory.
To administer your databases, phpMyAdmin is installed. Use your database connection details to login to the interface.